Honey Roasted Pears
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Enough pears to fill a medium sized baking pan
1/3 c. honey
1/2 c. maple syrup
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbs. water
Pinch of powdered ginger
Pinch of cinnamon
1) Rinse pears and slice a little bit off the bottom so they will stand up straight in the baking pan.
2) Put them into a baking pan or casserole dish so that they're packed tightly together.
3) Mix the remaining ingredients together and pour over pears.
4) Pop into the oven and roast, uncovered till they're tender when pierced with a fork, approximately an hour and change. It all depends on how ripe the pears are. Baste them about every 20 minutes while they're roasting to give them a nice golden hue.
Spiced Poached Pears
2 doz. Seckel pears
3 sticks of cinnamon
2 whole star anise
6 cups of water or to cover & half that amount of sugar
1) Peel the pears leaving the stems intact
2) Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Make sure you measure the water so you know how much sugar to put in.
3) Add the spices, cover and bring to a boil.
4) Reduce the heat and simmer till they're tender when pierced with a fork.
5) Allow them to cool in the syrup and then place the pears and their syrup in an airtight container and refrigerate.
You could also place the pears and they're syrup in sterilized canning jars and process in boiling water so you'll have them later in the season.